Acts 13: 1-12
Jul 14, 2019 // By:Dave // No Comment
1 ¶ Now there were at Antioch, in the church that was there, prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
look at this group of men… leaders (maybe 3 founders) of the Antioch church in Syria, front line ministry !!
- Barnabas – (also known as Joseph or Joses in Acts 4:36)
- son of encouragement (Hebrew)
- (Hellenist Jew born in Cyprus)
- cousin of John Mark (mentioned in Col 4:10 might mean cousin )
- Simeon – Niger (translates black)
- listen (Hebrew)
- Lucius of Cyrene
- light (Latin)
- likely part of the group scattered back in Acts 11:17-20 after the persecution that broke out after Stephens martyrdom.
- also African (Cyrene is at northern coast of africa, directly south of greece
- comforter (Hebrew)
- brought up with Herod, now the king. σύντροφος =foster brother
- Herod fled to Rome with his mother Bernice after the assassination of his Grandfather Herod the great
- meaning Manaen was likely very familiar with Roman culture but not necessarily Roman citizen since he was born jewish.
- NASB and NIV, and my Greek NT all say foster brother (Message , Amplified, use alternate translation meaning intimate friend)
- “root = trephos/trophos shows up in Luke 4:16, Acts 22:3, 1 Tim 5:10 and always means raising children to age (adulthood)
- prayed for (Hebrew)
- Paul = small or humble one (latin)
- Jewish Pharisee
- Greek cultured
- Roman citizenship
2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
word for ministering is liturgy (leturgeo) translated ministering, worshipping,
3 Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
get the sense that they kept praying and fasting after they heard from the Lord ?
lay of hands, divine ordination seen in Acts 6:6
4 ¶ So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
Cyprus, island, 3rd largest in entire Mediterranean ocean is 3571 square miles
5 When they reached Salamis, they began to proclaim the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews; and they also had John [Mark from Acts 12:25] as their helper.
This will be Paul’s M.O. for all time: (Romans 1:16)
- preach to the jews in synagogue as the visiting pharisee
- Shemah (Deut 6:4) sounds like “Sh’ma, Yisra’el! ADONAI Eloheinu, ADONAI echad
- read from the Torah
- visiting rabbi read and comment another passage
- preach to gentiles
6 When they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they found a magician, a Jewish false prophet whose name was Bar-Jesus,
7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.
proconsuls are appointed by Roman senate (procurators such as Pilate where appointed by emperors)
(this also serves as a sober reminder that even on this island, Rome rules)
8 But Elymas the magician (for so his name is translated) was opposing them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith.
9 But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him,
this filling is written in present tense, and indicates something happening at this moment
10 and said, “You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord?
11 “Now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and not see the sun for a time.” And immediately a mist and a darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking those who would lead him by the hand.
so Paul, filled with the Spirit of the God of love, calls this man “son of the devil and enemy of righteousness” and tells him his punishment is to be blind for a time.
Do these sound like the words of a Spirit filled person ?
Did Jesus ever speak like this ?
To whom and why?
12 Then the proconsul believed when he saw what had happened, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord.
Which impacted him (the miracle or the Word)?
What does this interaction mean to us ? (i.e. why did God ensure we read about it)?